Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Preparing peat moss (Read 208 times)
Bob Alston
YaBB Newbies

Preparing peat moss
May 2nd, 2024 at 5:03pm

Having problems spawning N. furzeri.  I have two pair and initially tried a trio - MFF - over peat.  I got 2 quarts of peatmost Duspro brand on amazon.  Nice stuff - no sticks. Vietnam is source.  Pored boiling water over the peat, let it cool, place in breeding container, filled to top with dechlorinated water and waited for peat to cool and settle.  Left in tank for one week.  Females were fat.
When I removed the peat I dumped it into a large net and squeezed our the water.  Maybe I squeezed too hard.  Spread peat over newspaper and looked for eggs. none found.  I might have seen broken pieces of 2 eggs not sure.

Planning to go back to Jiffy pellets although I cannot find #703.  A assuumee that all jiffy peat pellets have the same stuff.  Do I need to put boiling water over the jiffy peat?

My current try #2 is with both pairs, same spawning setup.  Plan to squeeze peat less hard and end of a week.

Other suggestions?
Bob

IP Logged

Bob Alston
YaBB Newbies

Re: Preparing peat moss
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2024 at 9:01pm

From what people have told me, Jiffy peat pellets do not need to be boiled but that other peat does.  One person recommended boiling for 15 minutes.
My conclusion is that using not-Jiffy peat and only poring boiling water over it was insufficient.  So boiling or getting Jiffy pellets are my next order of business.

IP Logged

ROBERT DEKEULENAERE
BOT Member

Re: Preparing peat moss
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2024 at 8:36am

Bob your not going to squeeze peat too hard, Notho eggs are tough. I usually spawn multiple pairs in a tank as I found that the "competition" that ensues promotes greater egg production. I always put a spawning container in for each male to guard. I breed a lot of annuals. Feel free to give me a call at 941-915-6799. Glad to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print