Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to import killifish eggs from Europe? (Read 963 times)
jerry hustafa
YaBB Newbies

how to import killifish eggs from Europe?
Jun 5th, 2023 at 9:49am

how does one import eggs (or even fish) from over seas these days? I was trying to get some eggs from a fellow in Scottland and here is the message I got from USA USFWS.
" Per our discussion, you stated that you are only importing these killifish for personal use. For this reason, the import fee for importing live wildlife is $93.  Please let me know what carrier you will be using once you find that out so we can discuss the port where you will need to be submitting your electronic declarations (edecs) to.  Once we have determined that, you can go ahead and file your edec by logging into at the following link: https://edecs.fws.gov/. ;  Please contact me once you have that information.  Thanks. -gene "
that seems crazy?

IP Logged

Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Re: how to import killifish eggs from Europe?
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 3:07pm

From what I understand, Jerry, an individual effectively can't, legally, import fish or eggs. There are other hoops besides the ones they showed you so far.

I'm far from an expert in this, but I do know an AKA lifetime member who got an importing license, which makes getting thing in easier, but still with significant hoops and uncertainties.

On the other hand, I have flown in on an international flight to EWR, declared the 14 fish my wife and I were carrying from Germany, and they never even asked a species name or even looked at the bags of fish.  Go figure.

Anecdotally, the USFWS/USDA seems to "notice" folks sometimes and then their international mail is scrutinized much more carefully. Hopefully, your inquiries didn't raise your profile.

Andy

IP Logged

jerry hustafa
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 12:08am

thank you very much Andy, for the reply. I agree - go figure... The form they would have me fill out is tolerable, but yes, still lots of uncertainty, and the cost is prohibitive for one batch of eggs. The seller said he has been able to sell them to folks on the east cost. Anyway is this something the AKA would look at getting - an AKA club import license? That members could use? I suppose I need to finally join face book as the forums and fish and egg listings in the AKA seem pretty quiet and even aquabid does not have that much offered by american keepers.

IP Logged

jerry hustafa
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2023 at 12:45am

i just stumbled onto a conversation about this topic some place else in the forum - look at posts from Tyrone and Pat. gives me no hope

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print