Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
N. Eggersi (Read 2366 times)
Troy sandlin
Ex Member

N. Eggersi
Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:03pm

I have two pair of blue eggersi. They are in their own tank. I use peat or sand to collect eggs. While feeding bbs a small fish (appears to be a female eggersi) appeared from its hiding place ate and retreated. Is it possible for eggersi to skip the drying period? This tank held black knight rams previously so I know it’s not from this. But I do keep f. garderi and a. australe in other tanks (not in jumping range).

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: N. Eggersi
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 1:10pm

Notho eggs can skip diapause and hatch in water but I doubt this is what you are seeing. If you catch the fish I expect it will be an australe or gardneri that snuck into the tank as an egg on plants.

IP Logged

Troy sandlin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:57pm

It is a female n. Eggersi. She is fully grown now and breeding. Is water incubation not successful enough to be a option when breeding (nothobranchius)peat spawners?

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:25am

Hello,

I have water incubated Nothos. It takes about 3 weeks at 78oF. I used shallow water in a petri dish. Some peat came along so the water was slightly peaty (I picked the eggs out of peat I collected). Once I saw well formed eyes with a gold ring around the iris I hatched the eggs by adding them to a small container with several table spoons of freshly prepared peat.

I have seen N. korthausae hatch out spontaneously from being spawned into the gravel of a planted aquarium but all the fry that hatched this way were belly-sliders.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print