Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
N. Eggersi (Read 2282 times)
Troy sandlin
Ex Member

N. Eggersi
Feb 21st, 2021 at 4:03pm

I have two pair of blue eggersi. They are in their own tank. I use peat or sand to collect eggs. While feeding bbs a small fish (appears to be a female eggersi) appeared from its hiding place ate and retreated. Is it possible for eggersi to skip the drying period? This tank held black knight rams previously so I know it’s not from this. But I do keep f. garderi and a. australe in other tanks (not in jumping range).

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: N. Eggersi
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 1:10pm

Notho eggs can skip diapause and hatch in water but I doubt this is what you are seeing. If you catch the fish I expect it will be an australe or gardneri that snuck into the tank as an egg on plants.

IP Logged

Troy sandlin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:57pm

It is a female n. Eggersi. She is fully grown now and breeding. Is water incubation not successful enough to be a option when breeding (nothobranchius)peat spawners?

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:25am

Hello,

I have water incubated Nothos. It takes about 3 weeks at 78oF. I used shallow water in a petri dish. Some peat came along so the water was slightly peaty (I picked the eggs out of peat I collected). Once I saw well formed eyes with a gold ring around the iris I hatched the eggs by adding them to a small container with several table spoons of freshly prepared peat.

I have seen N. korthausae hatch out spontaneously from being spawned into the gravel of a planted aquarium but all the fry that hatched this way were belly-sliders.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print