Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Male Agression and Killing (Read 2681 times)
Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Male Agression and Killing
Oct 31st, 2019 at 12:02pm

I have read several posts both here and on the AKA Facebook thing that say males will kill their mates. This is a concern to me because I have lost a female to unexplained death and winding up with a male only came the realization that I would have no fry. Fortunately I was able to obtain two more pairs before winter weather halted shipping. Now I have three males and two females. One female is very robust and eats ravenously while the other has not eaten at all since I got her October 24th. So, reading these anecdotal tales of males killing the females I have decided to separate the sexes and really pamper the females for maybe a month and then reintroduce one male to breed as a trio. The males are sure pretty but without a female to lay eggs it's downright pointless. So my question is this. Which Killifish are most likely to kill their mates and what, if anything, can be done about it ?

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Re: Male Agression and Killing
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2019 at 4:07pm

Hi Medric -
It is true that many male killies will drive a female mercilessly, but I have found that slightly larger tanks (I used to use what were called 15 lows - I wish I could find those now) with lots of cover made for happier, healthier females. Separately pampering the fish - conditioning - is a tried and true method of bringing out the best in your breeding efforts. Keep at it!

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 3:57pm

Things are working well enough for now. I have all my gardneri separated in their own individual tanks and all are eating well and settling in well. I think that shipping them stresses them. They get tossed and jostled in the dark for two or three days. That can't be good for them. I was advised on the AKA Facebook page to have several thick mops so the female can spawn and hide from an over eager male. Another week or two and I am going to see if they will spawn.

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 5:47pm

Make sure you have those mops. You should have no problems if the fish are well conditioned. Sounds like you're doing well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print