Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Membership (Read 5505 times)
George Caruso
Ex Member

Membership
Jan 4th, 2019 at 8:41am

I know a lot of members do not use these forums,but it is the only way I may reach some of them.
After over 50 years raising Killies, I have decided to get out of the hobby. I have enjoyed the hobby a great deal and have met many great folks along the way. At my age I feel it is time for me to step away, so my family is not faced with dealing with all of fish stuff if something happens to me. The conventions and shows that I attended thru out the years were great and brought much enjoyment.
I wish all of you as well as the AKA organization much success in the coming years.
George Caruso
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2019 at 7:30pm by James Langan »  

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Membership
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2019 at 7:29pm

George,

I think writing an article for the BNL or JAKA summarizing and highlighting your experiences over 50 years would be interesting, enlightening and very helpful in AKA future planning.

Especially those unexpected and unexplained fish raising circumstances.  Please give this your consideration, it would be a huge gift to all of us as you leave the hobby.

We are sorry to see you go!

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 2:00am

George, I'm sorry to hear of your decision to retire, from the hobby.  I have experience similar concerns.  I had heart surgery several years ago and at the time I made arrangements with the SCKC group to come on up to my place and take care of clearing out all my fish and equipment as I know my wife would not have wanted to deal with this.  Luckily for me, not so much for the others, I was fine.  I can respect the decision but the hobby is only getting older these days and it hard to loose those of us who have been doing this for so long.  I'e been at this for over 50 years my self and admittedly I don't devote as much time as I'd like these days but I hope I'll have a revival in the near future.  Best to you what ever you pursue.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2019 at 3:36am

I think the days of being able to do ,anything, for many decades are over. My hobby lasted 25+ years despite 2 cross-country moves, each one of which involved much less space and time for the hobby afterwards, and has effectively ended due to a retirement move. Without local clubs keeping people going and attracting new replacements, and without a strong national organization keeping the goals of the hobby going, it'll soon fade away.

IP Logged

Keith Cook

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2019 at 11:40am

George, you will be missed. You have been an asset the the AKA. I wish you all the best.

IP Logged

David Suffia
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 10:36am

Like George, I too am stepping away from the hobby, after 45 years. It’s been fun and I’ve enjoyed keeping killies and enjoyed knowing many of the others who keep them. But, like many other AKA members, I’ve gotten older and keeping fish has become more of a habit and less of a joy. Frankly, I miss the days when the JAKA came out monthly, filled with hobbyist articles; the days when there was a monthly Fish and Egg listing with dozens and dozens of fish offered at low prices by many members; and the AKA had a New and Rare Species Committee offering new species. Times change and it’s time for me to move on too.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 3:12pm

This is very disheartening to read. I understand why you gentlemen feel the way you do but even if you don't keep your fish or if you scale back dramatically please stay involved with the AKA. George, please write for the JAKA on the odd occasion. Write a short letter for the BNL. Your years of experience and your knowledge of killifish must not be allowed to go away. I'm 64 years old and have just re-entered the hobby after a long hiatus. I don't know how long I'll keep plugging along. But I will endeavor to persevere. Maybe me and my three tanks won't set the world on fire but I will, at least, warm things up. Please you guys. Stay involved even if only to write occasionally.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print