Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Where is everyone? (Read 11373 times)
Justin Woody

Where is everyone?
Nov 5th, 2018 at 11:27am

I was a member of the AKA 25 years ago and just recently joined again. Was hoping to find lots of information and active people talking about Killifish yet there isn't any information here. Also does the AKA still ship beginner species or is that something that doesn't happen anymore? Sorry just started up 2 new tanks and was really excited to learn/share ideas and yet there isn't much going on here. Am I looking in the wrong space? Anyways I joined again and am looking forward to getting the quarterly journal again.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Where is everyone?
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 11:45am

Justin,

Unfortunately, you just missed being able to be sent fish.  Beginner's species are guaranteed live delivery from March 15, until October 31.  I'm certain that one of the winter shows (next will be Michiana) will provide you an opportunity for acquiring some fish.  Or via the eBNL which will be coming out soon, however, shipping is very limited due to weather.

If there is something particular you are seeking; members do post and receive responses in the FORUM classifieds.  The classifieds do get purged once in a while because the postings pass. 

I'm certain you will find the species you are looking for.

I hope this helps,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 10:12am

Thanks for your response!

IP Logged

George Caruso
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 12:06pm

Unfortunately I have found that there are not very many
Members who use the forums. I have posted in the past and get little response if any. Same for the auctions. I am old and have been a member quite a few years. I liked it much better before Aqua bid and Facebook. The club was much better back then. Of course that is my opinion and like I said, I am old.

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2018 at 10:56pm

George, you aren't the only "old" guy here.  That may be part of the problem.  The only way this club remains vibrant is if we get the members involved.  I'm as bad as anyone, we all just need to promote this hobby and find the younger members to continue on in the pursuit of maintaining these wonderful fish.  In this day of electronic devises, kids don't have hobbies anymore, that's where the parents have to intervene and promote doing things other than staring at a computer screen.

IP Logged

George Caruso
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2018 at 7:07am

Sounds good, but I see in my own children that the parents today are not like the parents of old. Not sure what the answer is, but I do not like the direction we are heading in.

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 10:46pm

We can only do what we can.  None of my kids really ever were interested in keeping fish however a number of my grand kids have shown interest in my fish.  When they are old enough I intend to try and encourage that interest to continue.

IP Logged

Magann Medric
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 2:27pm

I just joined this GREAT organization in August. Like the guys above I expected something different on this forum. I signed up for the Facebook Killifish Lounge and it's OK. Just OK. I posted on there that the AKA forums were, as one guy noted, a ghost town. Well, that comment generated a flurry of responses. One said Facebook was a party and had nothing of lasting value. I agree. One man said we need a library. Once again, I agree. Being new to Killifish I want meat and potatoes information. I also see that the BNL has a letters page with nothing on it. I hope this post of mine here gets on to that. I see also that AKA membership is down some 300 from previous years. I suggest that it is the duty of every AKA member to write one letter for the BNL every year and to post something to this forum at least once per month. The AKA started as a postal only organization many years ago and now we have this marvelous internet doo-hickey. Membership should be growing and be growing at a fantastic pace due to the Internet. I am on a tropical fish forum and the aquarium hobby is far from dead from what I read there. Some of you are thinking , OK, the new guy has a lot of ideas and we all have ideas but here we are. Yes, I am enthusiastic and I want to see things get done. I don't want the GREAT AKA to go away or fizzle out now that I finally found it. I have NO internet skills and no computer skills so I can't help but you can bet your boots that you will see posts here from me and you will  read letters in the BNL from me. Long live the American Killifish Association !

IP Logged

Frank berenyi
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:52am

I have recently started keeping killifish and I thought the AKA would be a good resource for me to find information and also find eggs.  After paying $45 I am highly disappointed with the results.  I am a millennial and the argument that the younger generations aren't interested in fish keeping is completely false.  I come from a technology background and understand how important it is to leverage technology.  The design and the organization of the AKA website is not at all user friendly,  finding the beginners guide was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  For me,  this membership provides no value other than having the prestige of being part of the AKA.  Where is the $45 I pay yearly being spent because there seems to be nothing to show for other than the BNL which lacks substance and content.  Is there a financial report of where the funds are being allocated too?  The AKA needs to urgently upgrade its way of doing business or risk falling deeper into an abyss.  Sorry if I offend anyone but I am highly disappointed with the results of the AKA.

IP Logged

Frank berenyi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:53am

I have recently started keeping killifish and I thought the AKA would be a good resource for me to find information and also find eggs.  After paying $45 I am highly disappointed with the results.  I am a millennial and the argument that the younger generations aren't interested in fish keeping is completely false.  I come from a technology background and understand how important it is to leverage technology.  The design and the organization of the AKA website is not at all user friendly,  finding the beginners guide was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  For me,  this membership provides no value other than having the prestige of being part of the AKA.  Where is the $45 I pay yearly being spent because there seems to be nothing to show for other than the BNL which lacks substance and content.  Is there a financial report of where the funds are being allocated too?  The AKA needs to urgently upgrade its way of doing business or risk falling deeper into an abyss.  Sorry if I offend anyone but I am highly disappointed with the results of the AKA.

IP Logged

Frank berenyi
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:53am

IP Logged

Frank berenyi
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:53am

IP Logged

Frank berenyi
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2019 at 11:59am

Sorry for the duplicate post.  Even trying to post in this forums I get an SMTP error,  it doesn't even let you know that your post was submitted.  This highlights the out of date technology,  even trying to access the forums goggle will warn people to not enter the site,  why not fix this issue by simply renewing your SSL certificate?

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 8:24pm

These seem to be valid points. I am no technology or computer whizz by any means but these forums could and should be jumping like a jackrabbit. I do a thing called Tropical Fish Forums (look 'em up) and they all go wild there. It's free by the way. I am very glad to hear that the younger generation is into fish. We really do need that next generation. Guys like me will be dead within 20 years and I don't want our great hobby and the great AKA to fizzle out. The dues pay for people to keep this gang of fish keepers together and excited and I am happy to pay them. When my dues are no longer needed that will mean that the AKA has ridden off into the sunset. The AKA (and its dues) keep me in the loop. Young Buck, I hope you will offer your talents and expertise to the help and running of this outfit. We need guys like you.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 2:55pm

One other thing I wanted to comment on for Frank Berenyi. The AKA is a great resource for information on Killifish. You will get the Beginners Guide and Journal of the American Killifish Association - JAKA. You have the eBNL and absolutely scads of information from members. You can get involved with these members on the Facebook AKA Killifish Lounge. All the members are extremely helpful and will help you with anything. I have found out things that I didn't even know that I was wondering about. Look up the Wisconsin affiliate club. They have a very info packed website. AKA.WAKO.ORG. The AKA is the BOMB man !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print