Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New member introduction (Read 2161 times)
Tobias Raatz
YaBB Newbies

New member introduction
May 11th, 2024 at 10:01am

Hello all

My name is Toby
I am a proud new AKA member and looking forward to learning a lot and all about killifish from all of you.

Although I have had killifish before in my teen years. I have never tried in breeding or hatching them from eggs.

I have a fishroom and my focus was / is on keeping plecos, corydoras and apistogramma so far. But I really love the small colorful killifish. And now that I have a new rack with 10 empty 5.5 gallon tanks, I would like to fill them with killifish.

Would appreciate some advice on some species i should start with and where to acquire the eggs? I live in Canada and almost never see killifish in my LFS.

IP Logged

Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Re: New member introduction
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2024 at 11:07am

Welcome, Toby. I hope you soon find some interesting killies.

It's no different here in the states where the typical aquarium store will have golden wonder (Aplocheilus) or Florida flag fish (Jordanella) if they have killies at all. Not to denigrate either of those fish, but as you already know, there is a lot more and the AKA is the place I found them.

One of those A's is for "American" though and I know it's much easier for us to share internally than for those of you kind enough to join from outside. That said, I shipped eggs to Canada before Covid and though I know things have gotten more expensive, that's still an option. So the AKA classifieds here or Aquabid could be your friend. Eggs of non-annuals, as well as annual killies can be sent through the mail, though the speed is obviously more important in the former.

Even better if you can find someone relatively close and free of free of duties by looking in the AKA member directory which is on the main page of this AKA site. That too, is less friendly to our International friends since you can't search by province, but at least you can list all the internationals and email any from Canada who look interesting to you.

Best of all, you could come to the AKA annual Convention, meet a lot of great members, pick up your fish at the auction and fly them home!

Andy

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2024 at 11:50pm

I also will welcome you to the club/association.  There was a fairly vibrant group in the Vancouver area in the past.  I don't know what their status is these days but maybe if they see this they could step up to help you.  Where in Canada are you located?

IP Logged

Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2024 at 7:00am

Hello again, Toby.  Did you find any fish or eggs yet?

I realize we didn't answer you question about recommended species. I won't really here either since I find it's often very specific to your fishroom. We all have "easy" species which vex us. But, in general, I'll recommend starting with non-annuals as they are more forgiving generally. Otherwise, check the British Killifish Assoc site. They list breeding results for MANY species.

If you can't find anything, I may be willing to send some eggs across the border. For what it's worth, I'm in Minnesota, so closer than a lot of the US. I've heard that the expense has gotten out of hand for international shipping, but haven't dealt with that in a long time. I only keep non-annuals and have a couple of species considered to be "beginner", but as I said, your results may vary. As long as shipping time is a week or less, eggs of annuals should survive if packed at the right time. Obviously, eggs of annuals are much more forgiving of delays. The resulting fish, are not.

Andy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print