Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hybrids from the past (Read 206 times)
Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Hybrids from the past
Mar 25th, 2024 at 7:16am

When I was a wee lad (really a nerdy teenager) in the early 1970s, I was in the AKA for a couple of years. My recollection is that in each JAKA, there would be lists of member reported killifish hybrids they had produced.

I'm well aware that current thought is that such "experiments" are akin to a crime against nature and I'm not advocating deliberate hybridization. But, my assumption is that this was done back in the day based on the (now unaccepted) idea that distinct species do not produce fertile hybrids.

My reason for bringing this up, besides that it might be interesting club history to some, is that I wonder if those lists are still extant and could be shared with the club. While they might be verboten now, those crosses were made and I, for one, would find it very interesting to see what crosses were possible. Maybe there are even photos of these mixed parentage fish in the archives?

Does anyone have any more info on this?

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Re: Hybrids from the past
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2024 at 10:42pm

I remember that from the past.  I haven't seen anything for years.  IMHO I don't see a problem with experimenting on hybrids.  I would find it unethical to distribute said hybrids though.  If you think about it, if a different species breed and you get fertile hybrids it at least proves they are in the same genus.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Hybrids from the past
Reply #2 - Yesterday at 5:10pm

This Topic was moved here from AKA Main Discussion Board by James Langan.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print