Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Albino australe (Read 1765 times)
Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Albino australe
Dec 11th, 2022 at 11:15am

Hello everyone.  I acquired an albino australe pair and a few eggs in August and am having limited success raising more.

My question is about history of albinos in this species. I see just a few mentions of them when searching and mainly indicating that the writer hasn't seen them and that they are rare.

Since it sounds like this was a a de novo mutation in the fishroom of my friend, I'm curious as to whether there were, for sure, other albino lines of Aphyosemion australe and whether those are extant.

Anyone got any history or current knowledge?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Re: Albino australe
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2022 at 3:38pm

I couldn't find much in older JAKAs on this strain; it has shown up from time to time, and is albino like gardneri are albino, white body, red eyes. Don't know anyone that's currently keeping them. In general, albinos are trickier to keep going in other species, you get a lot of deformities in the likes of gardneri, and they're less prolific. So, treat them with kid gloves and be finicky with the eggs.

IP Logged

Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2022 at 11:52am

Thanks very much for checking.

These are the real deal with pink eyes. They are out of the old "hjerseni" strain which is already golden.

With my first pair, I am finding that they are hardy with pretty good egg production and fertilization. Fry survival in the first days is low, however.

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2022 at 10:41am

Hi Andy,

It depends on the the nature of the mutation that causes the lack of pigment. A mutation in the melanin genes themselves can make for weaker fish as these genes are needed in many places other than in melanocytes. Many albinos can make melanin, just not in melanocytes (well, melanophores in the case of fish).

If you are not having much success then I suggest you cross them back into a normal strain and then breed the progeny to recapture the albino strain. In theory 25% will be albino if you breed the siblings to each other.

These outbred fish will also be healthier in general and be better breeders. Odds are the albino fish are highly inbred to start with.

I expect these would be quite handsome fish.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2022 at 1:37pm

AKA member Fred Behrmann raises and sells these. Get ahold of him.

IP Logged

Andy Jameson
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2022 at 2:00pm

These originated in Fred's fish room, but it is my understanding that he is no longer keeping them.

Tyrone,

Is albinism (in fish at least), always a due to a single gene leading to simple dominant recessive, or can it be an interaction between multiple genes?

Andy

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2023 at 11:55am

Hi Andy,

About albinism, it typically follows the basic recessive/dominant pattern of genetics where heterozygotes give a 25% albino, 75% normal looking pattern so, typically, I would say its a single gene but we don't know until we do the experiments. If you make the cross and none of the off spring produce albino or a far fewer than 25% then the genetics is more complex. As the eggs themselves show pigmentation you should be able to quickly assess what is going on with the ratios among the fry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print