Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best place for nothos eggs ? (Read 14584 times)
jason shaw
Ex Member

Best place for nothos eggs ?
May 17th, 2022 at 12:07am

I was looking to try and start raising Nothos. I was hoping now that summer was here you would see more classified adds on here but nothing so far. I just joined about a month ago and I got the news letter in my email and bought some beautiful fish form MI killi club. But would really like to try nothos also. Where is best place to get eggs ?
Is eggs best way to start out with them ?
Is Nothobranchius rachovii Beira 98 common difficult ?
Is there a place that list all the different kind of Nothos ?
Is there any that have longer lifespan ? or are more of a beginners Nothos ?
thanks

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: Best place for nothos eggs ?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2022 at 8:29am

Hello Jason,

I have stared a Nothobranchius breeding group. Please PM me your email address and I'll sign you up and then we can hook you up with fish or eggs.

It is best to start with fish and collect several spawns of them so you can learn about the incubation and hatching of the eggs. If you have little experience, receiving eggs can be hit or miss. Certain species are much more forgiving than others.

N. rachovii Beira is suitable for a beginner. Fred Berhman was selling some in the latest BNL. The incubation can be long, as much as 6 months, so a lot of patience is needed. Some sources report that the fry are small needing infusoria but in my experience they will take brine shrimp nauplii on hatching without issue.

There are several Nothobranchius species currently listed on  Aquabid: https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Sellfishgals

N. guentheri and korthausae have, for example, much longer lifespans than eggersi and rachovii. I have had korthausae that have lived nearly 2 years. guentheri can live about a year. N. rachovii Beira live about 6 months. I have never had eggersi live more than about 6 or 7 months.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Aaron Smalls
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2022 at 10:32am

I also found it difficult to start collecting Nothos, but there are some awesome folks here like Tyrone that have been able to get me started. 

It is probably going to be better to start with fish instead of eggs, because you'll have plenty of opportunities to collect eggs to raise in the future, as oppose to one or two chances to hatch from eggs.

People say some are more difficult than others but there's a lot of different reasons that make a fish difficult and it all depends on what trips you up personally.

N. Rachovii  are very popular and have a longer incubation time. That's probably the reason you just can't seem to find them all the time. 

You gotta hunt on aquabid, and the BNL and always have an empty tank handy to take advantage.

Send me a PM, I probably have some eggs  ready to hatch now that I don't really have room for.

This is probably the best site for species and pix.  https://wildnothos.wixsite.com/wildnothos

IP Logged

ROBERT DEKEULENAERE
BOT Member

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 4:57pm

I am currently raising rachovii fry. I would also like to be included in the Notho breeding group so PM sent.

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 6:40pm

PM received and processed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print