Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Water Sprite (Read 1155 times)
Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Water Sprite
Nov 2nd, 2021 at 10:54am

I got some Ceratopteris thalictroides Water Sprite from an Internet dealer in Florida last June and all was well for a while. It grew great at first but then began to slowly fizzle out. I mean real slow like a guy that married the wrong woman. I mix R/O and tap to make my water come out to 60 PPM TDS. I also add four teaspoons of aquarium salt per ten gallons of water as advised by Ed Warner in his seminal masterpiece "Success With Killifish". The salt does not affect my Microsorium pteropus Java Fern or my Vesicularia dubyana Java Moss. Both those plants are luxuriant. I grew the Water Sprite as a floating plant in a ten gallon under a single 15 watt fluorescent tube bulb. Where and how did I go wrong ?

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Water Sprite
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 11:13am

Medric,

My suspicion is the salt.  Water sprite is from extremely soft water and no salts.

I hope this helps,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 2:00pm

Thank you Mr. Langan. I have the soft water and everything else so the salt must be the culprit.

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2022 at 11:49pm

I agree, that seems like a lot of salt for water sprite.  I haven't kept it for awhile but when I did it was in tanks with really soft water and the key I found for floating water sprite was the cover.  The added humidity above the water level made the floating water sprite flourish.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print