Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Killifish Eggs from Thailand on Ebay. Think twice! (Read 2540 times)
Herve Denaclar
Ex Member

Killifish Eggs from Thailand on Ebay. Think twice!
Apr 28th, 2021 at 12:26pm

New to Killifish, let me share my recent experience. During Christmas holidays while browsing through eBay posts I came across one for A Australe eggs in Thailand. Mixed reviews on the different sellers, mainly on low hatching results so… why not? I’m up to the challenge!
I order:
•      30 Eggs Aphyosemium Australe (vendor 1)
•      30 Eggs Nothobranchius Ugandensis Butiaba (Vendor 1)
•      30 Eggs Nothobranchius Rachovii Beira (Vendor 2)

I received the eggs the same day, on January 19th , both vendors did a great packing job, that was a good start. Then, I kept them at room temp/dark until the hatch date that was written on packs.

1st bath: 02/03 
•      Australe: 9 hatchings - 4 alive
•      Butiaba: 0 Hatching
•      Beira: 0 Hatching

Pass the peat in a coffee filter and repack and redo 5 more times

2nd bath: 02/18 
•      Australe: 14 hatchings - 6 alive
•      Butiaba: 0 Hatching
•      Beira: 2 Hatchings - 1 alive
3rd bath: 03/03 
•      Australe: 0 hatching
•      Butiaba: 3 Hatching – 2 alive to date
4th bath: 03/22 
•      Butiaba: 31 Hatchings – 7 alive
•      Rachovii Beira: 6 Hatchings – 6 alive
5th bath: 04/08
•      Australe: 1 hatching – 1 alive
•      But: 6 Hatchings – 5 alive
6th bath: 04/26 
•      But: 2 Hatchings
•      Beira: 1 Hatching

I’m always amazed with what nature can do! What a great experience! I would never have though there would still be hatchings after 6 baths, 3 months apart! With eggs that travelled in a small box across the globe!
So great packing, great shipping, great hatching rate! So why think twice about getting eggs from Thailand then?
Well I was so excited to get the gold elongated australe with its beautiful lyre tail, and as the fry grew, things got strange, tails turned out to be round, colors stared to be red and blue…. It was time to connect with the pro’s and join AKA.
After getting help from Rob Meyer on the AKA facebook page, those australe turned out to be Nothobranchius Foerschi!
As for the other 2 species, I’m not sure yet, the Beira that hatched on 02/18 is a female so cannot identify and the 6 others that hatched on 03/22 are still too young to do so.
Same with the Butiaba who seem to grow slower that the Beira, the colors are just coming out, we’ll see!
Bottom line it it is a fun experience, but if you are not a big fan of the mystery box, better stick to reputable sources for the Eggs and here at AKA you are at the right place!

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Killifish Eggs from Thailand on Ebay. Think twice!
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 4:48pm

Herve,

This is not a unusual experience with buying eggs on other platforms.  Our AKA Auction Website provides a great experience and all registrants of fish are bound to the "AKA Code of Ethics".  All listings of fish are from AKA member's who all agree to the code when registering as a member of the AKA.

If you can, please follow up with postings of pictures of these fish as an addendum to this post.  We have many Notho experts who could assist in the identification of your fish, although many of the Notho species look very close to one another, and do require expert identification.

Thanks for posting, excellent information,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: Killifish Eggs from Thailand on Ebay. Think twice!
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 1:18pm

Hello Herve,

If you are interested in breeding Nothobranchius, I should be able to help you out with fish or eggs in a few weeks or months time.

Welcome to the club!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print