Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hatching Problems (Read 1600 times)
James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Hatching Problems
Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:13pm

Hello Everyone,

I have numerous species, great egg production, definitive development and when I place them in water fungus & no hatch.  I am certain the eggs are not over incubated, I incubate on coir (coconut media).  This happens with almost all of my species except A. striatum.  I do get a few eggs to hatch maybe 2/10 at the most. I have tried different hardness's of water.  Out of the tap is between 190 - 210 TDH, I have a well no chlorine or fluoride additives.  I have attempted as low as 15 TDH pur RO from my RO unit.

I am seeking any and all suggestions.

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: Hatching Problems
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 10:38am

Quote:
I have numerous species, great egg production, definitive development and when I place them in water fungus & no hatch.

What species are you using this method on and how do you incubate them? Many of the non-annuals do not go into diapause but have a delayed hatching response to no being incubated in water. If they are left too long before wetting then they could be too exhausted to hatch. Perhaps you need to wet them a bit sooner?

When you hatch the eggs incubated on peat, do you immerse them along with the peat? I only did this type of incubation for Fp. sjoestedti and gardneri N'Sukka and in both instances I immersed the eggs with the peat. There is an idea out there that the peat creates conditions that stimulate hatching. I suppose you could simply add some fresh peat together with the eggs rather than immerse all the peat and see if that improves hatching.

What strain of striatum do you have?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print