Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are Pike Killifish New World annuals? (Read 4054 times)
Paul Bollinger
Ex Member

Are Pike Killifish New World annuals?
Oct 10th, 2020 at 5:25pm

What category would Pike Killifish (Belonesox belizanus) fall under?
I've been keeping this species for a couple of years and I'd love to share my observations. Just want to make sure I'm posting in the right spot. Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Paul

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: Are Pike Killifish New World annuals?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 5:56pm

This Topic was moved here from AKA Main Discussion Board by James Langan.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 5:58pm

Pike Killies are genus Epiplaty, which are old world non annuals.  Hence the move to this discussion board.

I hope this helps,

JP Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 7:04pm

Well color me confused.  As far as I know it's not an Epiplaty but a livebearer.

Livebearers / Poeciliidae / Pike Top Minnow

Profile: Pike Livebearer, Pike Top Minnow
Belonesox belizanus Synonyms: None

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2020 at 7:41am

Werner Neumann in his book "Pike Like Killies" discusses exactly this topic, available in the on line store.  His book's subject is the genus Epiplaty.  From my understanding although very close to Cyprinondon, live bearers are not killies as they do not lay eggs.  The only other fish I can think of being "pike like" is the Asian rice fish, which to my knowledge are not identified as killies anymore, although they once were part of Cyprinondon (killies), they were removed after DNA studies in the 90s.

Hopefully one of the taxonomists will chime in here, however, I've only heard reference to Epiplaty's being Pike Like, although this is not a common term used in killie keeping, and I am sure there are other uses of Pike Like I am not  aware of.

Jim Langan

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 11:57am

Since the original poster specifically cited Belonesox belizanus I must agree with Russell. The fish is a new world livebearer - not a killifish at all as we define them: egglaying toothcarps. The problem is with common names; another example would be the least killifish, Heterandria formosa - also a livebearing fish from the new world, not a killi.

IP Logged

Ryan Enright
God Member
BOT Member

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2021 at 6:35pm

Just thought I would jump in on the discussion, as the "Hechtlinge" or Pike-Like is my favorite group of killies for several reasons.

Pike-Like killies refer to species in the Epiplatys, Aplochielius, and Pachypanchax genera.

These are all true "egg laying tooth-carps" that exhibit body forms and behaviors very similar to the large and aggressive pike found all over the northern hemisphere.

The livebearers are fascinating fish, but not kililes specifically.

Either way, Im sure the observations of Mr. Bollinger would be more than welcome by our members to read Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print