Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Setting up a Continuous Flow fry tank system (Read 2363 times)
Clive Howe
Ex Member

Setting up a Continuous Flow fry tank system
Aug 2nd, 2020 at 10:33am

I am contemplating setting up a continuous flow system for a series of small fry tanks. Between the local fish store, hydroponics store and online, securing parts for such a system appears to be no obstacle. Do other members have experience of such a system they might share. Any  conclusions in the nature of "I wish I had done it differently" would be hugely helpful. Will be glad to post a description of my completed project eventually.
I visualize the system will require a Cistern reservoir with heater, filter, pump, assorted array of small containers, and importantly flooding safety setup.

IP Logged

Kenneth P. Simolo

Re: Setting up a Continuous Flow fry tank system
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 12:39am

I have done some continuous flow systems but I prefer individual tanks with an automatic water change system instead,  That limits the scope of any possible problem.  Diseases, filter crash, etc can cause quite a lot of damage in a centralized system.

The one place I did use a continuous flow/centralized system the most was with small fry tanks.  I made fry tanks out of disposable "Tupperware" containers.  These were kept in a plastic tray on a shelf - the tray had a drain line down to an aquarium below which had a filter, heater, and pump.  I also had a system where the drain fittings were tied together with vinyl tubing.  Either works.   I think you will find drip emitters work the best to get a steady slow flow.  Any valves I used would slowly clog from deposits etc.  Because of heavy feeding, the tubs still needed cleaning every day but the fish had a steady stream of treated water.

Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print