Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rivulus (cynodonichthys) sp. Kuna_Yala_Pan 2009-29 (Read 1251 times)
Patrick Sabourin

Rivulus (cynodonichthys) sp. Kuna_Yala_Pan 2009-29
Oct 23rd, 2019 at 12:37pm

Response to my questions about Rivulus (cynodichthys) sp. Kura_Yala_PAN 2009-29 purch from Ken Normandin. 
"The sp. Kuna Yala are a “new” species in the R. brunneus group that I (With Andre Schonewille, John and Katy Boylan) first collected in 2009 in Panama and re-collected them again in 2012.  Since they were collected at the same location in different years, I stuck with the original site designation.  They were collected in a clear, small mountain stream along the margins in leaf litter and plant roots, as well as in a muddy, seepage outflow from that same stream in very shallow (sometimes as low as an inch or less) water.  They do have a name pending, but I can’t give it out until my paper to describe them is published.
Their maximum size is about 3”, nose to tail, so I think your pair is about 2/3 full size.  For me, they are relatively easy to keep and breed, they’ll eat just about anything, including a good flake food.  My normal feeding routine rotates between grindal worms, midge fly larvae, bbs and flake food. In a well planted tank they will reproduce easily and for the most part leave the fry alone in the tank if well fed.  They breed in a manner consistent with most of the “Cynodonichthys” type Rivulus.  I don’t monitor water parameters here, but when I collected them, the pH was around 7 and hardness was at 70ppm.  I do use primarily rain water and treated well water here, so I would guess my hardness is pretty close to yours (mine is 120-140 ppm).
If you decide to try to pick eggs, they are a mop spawner and will lay eggs at all areas of the mop.  Eggs are a little sensitive to handling and if not careful, they can fungus up quite easily.  When I collected eggs (many years ago, it seems), I kept them on a damp piece of quilt batting soaked with acriflavine/water solution and I believe they took about 3 weeks to hatch."  To be Contd.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print