Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rank neophyte beginner with gardneri (Read 1438 times)
Magann Medric
Ex Member

Rank neophyte beginner with gardneri
Oct 5th, 2019 at 8:01pm

Just finished my first reading of the AKA Beginners Guide. Mention is made of fish that prefer darker surroundings. Are my Fundulopanchax gardneri in this category ? What is the optimal temperature for them and last, what literature can I obtain that answers these questions in more detail than the Beginners Guide? I want to know everything possible about any killifish that I might want to keep.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Re: Rank neophyte beginner with gardneri
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2019 at 7:40am

I always 'blacked' the back, bottom and sides of my killie tanks (black spraypaint on the outer glass). That, and gravel substrate too. I heard anecdotally that 'flat black' paint would make things look 'gloss' and vice-versa. Can't confirm.

As for killie books, the beginner's guide is still one of the best. If you can get ahold of "Success with Killifish" via Ruth Warner in the AKA BNL it's pretty good, too. Steffen Hellner's Killifish book published by Barron's is o.k.. https://www.amazon.com/Killifish-Complete-Pet-Owners-Manual/dp/0812044754

IP Logged

Magann Medric
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 2:45pm

Thank you, that's just the kind of response I was fishing for. Yes ! The Warner book is most definitely something I want to acquire. The Wisconsin Killifish outfit has it available on their website. They also have available to read the first three chapters to tantalize you into buying it. Ten bucks postpaid. That's a great deal.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Shazam ! I just now put black construction paper on the back and one side of my gardneri tank. The whole dynamic changed instantly. Very definite and apparent spawning behavior commenced almost immediately. Like turning on a switch. I'm flabbergasted ! The tank looks better too. Looks more like real underwater.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:00pm

I am learning a little more every day. People are telling me things and so are the fish. I like to just sit and watch them. Sometimes my observations tell me things. Thank you to all both here and on the Killifish Lounge for your advice.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 4:52pm

A little bit more than a new recruit now. Got my first two fry from my gardneri eggs today. December 11, 2019. 21 days to hatch. Onward and upward !

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2019 at 9:53am

excellent!

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 5:44pm

And two more fry this morning. Dec. 14, 2019. Things are looking good. So much clears up when you actually do things with your own two hands.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print