Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blue Gularis Killifish (Fundulopanchax sjostedti) (Read 4400 times)
Shelby Parks
Ex Member

Blue Gularis Killifish (Fundulopanchax sjostedti)
Mar 29th, 2019 at 11:54am

I recently purchased Dwarf Red and Niger Delta Eggs. I Have Plenty of tanks to hatch them and keep them separate. I was wondering though, if the eggs have to be kept out of water the 6 to 8 weeks it it says on the package? If I could put the eggs in water to speed up the process that would be great. If that is possible, what would the pros and cons be between the two hatching methods?

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Re: Blue Gularis Killifish (Fundulopanchax sjostedti)
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 5:54pm

Hi Shelby.  I emailed you an article with more information on incubating SJO, but yes, it is possible to incubate them in water.  I find it to be more labor intensive, and if I fail to keep up, I lose more eggs than I do in peat or on peat, but it is certainly a viable option.

Having received them in peat makes it even a little trickier, as it is difficult to find the eggs in the peat to extract them for water incubating.  And if you leave the peat in the water with them, it's difficult to watch over them and remove any dead or fungusing eggs, or even to change water without worrying about pouring out eggs.

Good luck....

IP Logged

Shelby Parks
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 7:14pm

Thank you very much for that. I was curious because my Gardneri seem to do well with the eggs always in the water. Once in awhile I lose some to fungus but not many.

Thank you for the email and also the Gularis eggs I purchased from you. Lol

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 3:20pm

Since sjoestedti are considered "semi-annual", they can be a bit more challenging than the "non-annual" gardneri.  Incubation is a little longer, and at least a brief dry period is the norm.  Many long-time sjoestedti breeders are surprised when I tell them I water incubate most of them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print