Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Member (Read 1830 times)
Morgun Werling
Ex Member

Sep 20th, 2022 at 8:11am

Hello,
I am Morgun Werling. I am an engineer from the Fort Wayne area and have started to get more interested in Killis. My interest started from some locally collected blackstripe topminnows, and my ongoing attempt to breed them (if you have spawned this fish before, I would greatly appreciate some advice).
There are no active fish clubs within an hour drive of my area, so I joined to interact with other members of the community.

I am mainly interested in nonanual species, so if you have any suggestions for some fish that are easy to spawn and keep going, I would be happy to hear them.

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Re: New Member
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2022 at 1:20am

Welcome to the club.  If you have interest in native killies there are many to choose from that are easy plant/mop spawners.  There's Fundulus cingulatus, Lucania goodei, Jordanella floridae and many more.  If you want something African I would suggest Fundulopanchax gardneri or Aphyosemion striatum for very colorful and easy species to consider.  I'm not sure what your water conditions are, I suspect hard in Texas, the native species might be a better bet unless you can get the gardneri or striatum from someone who is keeping them in harder water.  I have many native species and can help you if you would like.

IP Logged

Morgun Werling
Ex Member

Re: New Member
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2022 at 3:30am

Thanks for the welcome Russell.
I'm actually not in Texas--you are probably thinking of Fort Worth. Fort Wayne is northeast Indiana.
Water is similar, but more neutral and harder. My well comes out at 6.8 to 7 PH, and usually in the 250-300+ ppm GH.
I've found that as long as the fish don't require extremely low PH, they usually do very well in the harder water--weather or not they will spawn is a different story though.
I actually purchased the Gardneri "starter fish" when I joined; althoigh I am unsure if they are actually available. I saw the coloration on them and they have have definitely been added to my "buy on sight" list if I find some locally.
I appreciate the offer for help with the native species, and I'll be sure to reach out if I find myself stumped.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print