Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cure for Clamping in Nothobranchius (Read 3386 times)
Patrick Sabourin

Cure for Clamping in Nothobranchius
Oct 20th, 2021 at 8:08pm

Just wanted to pass along a recent successful treatment of my sick Nothobranchius foerschi.  The symptoms observed were clamping of fins and the fish all huddled in a bottom corner of the tank.  They appeared to be wasting away although only 4 months old.  Thinking the usual disease in nothos is velvet, I gradually added kosher salt up to a dose of 2 tsp/gal for about 3 days.  They appeared to get marginally better; they swam off bottom, but were still looking thin and weak.  Figuring it might be a bacterial disease either primarily or a secondary, I looked on my shelves for a antibiotic I could use.  All I had was SeaChem Sulfaplex which says it is good for protozoan, fungal and bacterial diseases.. so why not.  I treated the same 10 gal tank (bare bottomed with a few plants and sponge filter) with Sulfaplex as per instructions.  This treatment was continued every three days for a total of 3 treatments. I did a 50% water change just before the 2nd and third treatments.  The fish got better after each treatment, but were clearly not totally back to normal until a day of two after the third and final treatment.  Looking great now.  I also did this treatment on Nothobranchius rachovii that were just starting to clamp up; with or without the elevated salt treatment. They also recovered very nicely. I should note that fish did not originally have any added salt when they got sick. This is because my auto-water change system does not accommodate this.  Although some of my nothos have done fine without added salt once they reach 2-3 months of age, prophylactic salt addition seems to be more protective of other notho species. It's been about a month now and these fish seem to have completely recovered.

IP Logged

Keith Cook

Re: Cure for Clamping in Nothobranchius
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2021 at 6:36pm

Thanks for sharing your success. It is something I will have to keep in mind.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2021 at 6:52am

Hi Keith.  You might want a separate rack for the Nothos.

In my experience, a higher temp helps with clamping, low-80's. It might be your tanks got a little cold.

IP Logged

Patrick Sabourin

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2021 at 8:43pm

Thanks Matt.  My tanks were probably about 76-78 F.  I'll keep in mind that I should try to keep the temperature a little higher.  I insulated my whole room and it is near a furnace, but do not have much control over temperature (no aquar heaters).  Maybe I'll try a batch with a heater added to the tank.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print