Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
any tips for better brine shrimp hatches? (Read 16297 times)
Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

any tips for better brine shrimp hatches?
Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:43pm

Hello, new member here.  I've been having some difficulty hatching brine shrimp lately and since I'm sure everyone here is very familiar with the process, I thought this would be an appropriate question for all of you more experienced members. 

I definitely do not have the process down even though I do manage to hatch some brine shrimp on most occasions but I can't remember the last time I was satisfied with my hatch rate.  I've tried a few different concentrations of salt and using baking soda but usually end up with similar results.

my setup is an upside-down water bottle with an air line tube down to the bottom and it receives constant light from a 100 w bulb for 24 hours.  I use a heaping tablespoon of kosher salt dissolved in a cup of water that's been sitting out overnight.  The pH of my tap water is around 7.8 and has a degree of hardness around five.

I'm also aware these difficulties could just stem from the condition of the eggs I'm using, which are a bit old.  If that's the case, I'm also wondering if there are any tips for extending the shelf life of eggs I may buy in the future.

Thank you so much for reading, if you have any tips or questions at all I'd be more than happy to hear or address them!

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Re: any tips for better brine shrimp hatches?
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 8:10pm

Andrea,

I have kept my cans (unopened and opened) of Brine Shrimp in a freezer at my home for well over 15 years without any noticeable losses of hatch rates.  The main issue is cool and dry.  Moisture and humidity is your worst enemy.  I keep one open can frozen and dispense into a convenient container I keep in my fish-room for an estimated 2 months of stock.  When the stock runs out in my fish-room dispenser, i go to my freezer and refill it.

Regarding hatching, I've had very bad results whenever I use "softened water" via my water softener.  I always use de-chlorinated tap water not softened.  I always start with room temperature water, colder water causes long delays in brine shrimp hatching, I get full hatch between 24 - 30 hours when my water temperature starts between 68 - 73 dgF.

I use a 4 watt bulb to illuminate my hatchery, I've found higher wattage bulbs cook the hatch and kill the brine shrimp.  I notice a slight increase in water temperature from the room temperature up to about 78 dgF, using a 4 watt bulb.  I aerate with a straight tube vigorously.

My mix is 1 liter of water, two tablespoons (level) of salt, + pinch of Epsom salt (to increase PH) + 1/4 teaspoon of brine shrimp cysts.  This combination yeilds me huge consistent hatches. 

I am in the AKA roster available in the member's area, feel free to call me if you have any questions.  I'll attempt to post a picture of my hatchery.  I use a inverted 2Liter plastic pop bottle.

Best wishes, Happy New Year,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 10:08am

Jim,

Thank you so much!  This is exactly what I wanted to know.  I do have a question about 4 watt bulbs though and have to say I've never heard of them!  what sort of lamp base accepts these?  I've just looked them up and they don't seem to be compatible with the standard size of screw-in base.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated!

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 12:30pm

Andrea,

The 4 watt bulbs require a mini-socket, available at home depot, I used an old salvaged line cord from an appliance I decommissioned to provide the wall plug.  I used aluminum foil to make a reflector behind the bulb and keep it from physical contact with the soda bottle.

I hope this helps,

Jim

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 2:12pm

Jim,

Interesting!  I'll see if I can replicate your setup.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 9:56am

Andrea,

I attempted to email you some photos of my brine shrimp hatchery, however, I posted two photos on the AKA member gallery, under my name and under the gallery "Live Foods".  I hope they view well for you.

Good Luck!

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 6:21pm

Jim,

I just set up my hatchery today!  I found some 4 watt bulbs and discovered theses light socket converters that allow me to use the small bulbs in my regular lamp.  I've also lined the inside of the lamp with foil.  I've only got a 1 liter bottle right now but I'll get myself a two liter bottle of soda or something later on. 

I've got my light positioned over the top of the bottle and I see yours is at the side.  Is this something I should fix in my setup?  My bottle is also filled almost to the top, does your photo show the typical amount of water you use in your hatchery?   

Thanks again!
Andrea

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 8:19pm

Andrea,

The light is most efficient from the side, just be certain the bulb doesn't and can't touch the bottle.  A 1liter bottle will be filled to the top, mine is a two liter bottle so its not full all the way. 

Create a gallery and post some photos or your setup!

I hope this helps,

Jim

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 3:15pm

Jim,

Good idea!  I uploaded a picture just now.  I got a great hatch today, too.  Thanks for your help!

Andrea

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 3:29pm

Andrea,

Glad it worked out, cool setup, upload some fish room pics too!

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:12pm

Andrea,

Very nice fish-room pictures!

Thanks for posting in the member gallery!

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:29pm

Jim,

I'm glad you liked them!  More to come, I'm sure.

IP Logged

Thomas Biery
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 11:37pm

I found brineshrimpdirect best eggs for me.  Key not to overlook Do not heat over 90 deg F the cysts die inside the shells and you get a very poor hatch rate.

IP Logged

Andrea Benjamin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 8:41pm

I just took a look at their website and it looks awesome!  They ship internationally too.  I just recently bought new eggs but when I run out, I'll order from them.  Thanks for the tip! 

Quick question, what sort of salt do you use?  I'm using kosher salt that has a small amount of anti-caking agent and wondering if that's effecting my hatches.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:27am

Andrea,

What is the chemical/compound of the anti-caking agent?  The salt I use is canning salt absolutely no additives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print