Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Water Hydras (Read 2141 times)
James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Water Hydras
Jan 3rd, 2020 at 4:53pm

Recently I had a infestation in some of my aquariums with water Hydras.  I've never had any hydras before in many decades.  This happened, once I began using a new can of Brine Shrimp for hatching feed.

I am seeking any and all possible remedies which will work without disturbing a heavily planted aquarium.

Seeking advice,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Re: Water Hydras
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:54am

I always kept a pair of blue gouramis around that I could move into a tank with hydra - they had it cleaned up in a couple of days, though I learned to keep them in the tank for about a week to keep any resting hydra from reinfecting - supposedly licorice and croaking gouramis also do a great job, and they don't get near as big as the blues - Flagfish also do a decent job, but they might also take out your plants

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 8:32pm

Thanks Kris,

Great suggestions, I'll look at the temperature of the gouramis and see if they're  compatible, that tank is around 71 dgF.

After looking at temperature, I decided to try pond snails because of the temperature in my killie tanks.  I'll report after a week or so.

Best wishes, Jim
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:37am by James Langan »  

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 5:56pm

Update,

After adding 4-5 small pond snails to my 55 gallon tank.  Almost all of the water Hydras present have been eliminated after three weeks.  To give a descriptive visual on how bad the infestation was: one side of the tank the forward glass looked like a silicone wave of hydras over 2/3 of the glass surface.  Literally there were multiple 1000's of hydras were present.  Now after looking at the same glass with a magnifier, I barely can see any hydras.

I want to thank everyone for viewing this post and making suggestions.

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 12:57pm

thanks for keeping us posted - let us know if the snails keep them under control

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:11pm

Hello Everyone,

My water hydras are undetectable now, I'm sure some linger somewhere in my 55 gallon planted tank, however, all hydras apparent on the glass are now gone.

I hope this helps,

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:04pm

Late to answer but I used Panacur C to clear up a hydra infestation I had in a shrimp tank.  It worked well but it will also potentially hurt any snails you might have in the tank.  If you notice them come back this could be a way to get rid of them long term. Pretty easy to use and can get it from a pet supply shop or amazon for cheap.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 6:19pm

Justin,  this is heavily planted 55 gallon aquarium, I think Pancur C. would hurt the plants.

Thanks though!

Jim Langan

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 9:49am

I used it in a heavily planted tank with no troubles. But I'm glad the snails cleared it up for you.

IP Logged

Larry Waybright
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 8:39pm

I've always had good results clearing hydra with just a pinch of flubendazole powder/10 gallons. This dose did not seem to affect Malayan Trumpet snails nor harm any aquatic plants. If there is a single hydra present in a tank of fish being fed live brine shrimp nauplii you will soon be over run with hydras. (Also works great to treat velvet).
See JAKA article by Charles Harrison, Ph.D.Ph.D.http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 1:01pm

Hello,

Seachem Excel takes care of Hydra quite effectively.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print