Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Water Hydras (Read 1992 times)
James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Water Hydras
Jan 3rd, 2020 at 4:53pm

Recently I had a infestation in some of my aquariums with water Hydras.  I've never had any hydras before in many decades.  This happened, once I began using a new can of Brine Shrimp for hatching feed.

I am seeking any and all possible remedies which will work without disturbing a heavily planted aquarium.

Seeking advice,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Re: Water Hydras
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:54am

I always kept a pair of blue gouramis around that I could move into a tank with hydra - they had it cleaned up in a couple of days, though I learned to keep them in the tank for about a week to keep any resting hydra from reinfecting - supposedly licorice and croaking gouramis also do a great job, and they don't get near as big as the blues - Flagfish also do a decent job, but they might also take out your plants

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 8:32pm

Thanks Kris,

Great suggestions, I'll look at the temperature of the gouramis and see if they're  compatible, that tank is around 71 dgF.

After looking at temperature, I decided to try pond snails because of the temperature in my killie tanks.  I'll report after a week or so.

Best wishes, Jim
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:37am by James Langan »  

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 5:56pm

Update,

After adding 4-5 small pond snails to my 55 gallon tank.  Almost all of the water Hydras present have been eliminated after three weeks.  To give a descriptive visual on how bad the infestation was: one side of the tank the forward glass looked like a silicone wave of hydras over 2/3 of the glass surface.  Literally there were multiple 1000's of hydras were present.  Now after looking at the same glass with a magnifier, I barely can see any hydras.

I want to thank everyone for viewing this post and making suggestions.

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2020 at 12:57pm

thanks for keeping us posted - let us know if the snails keep them under control

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:11pm

Hello Everyone,

My water hydras are undetectable now, I'm sure some linger somewhere in my 55 gallon planted tank, however, all hydras apparent on the glass are now gone.

I hope this helps,

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 5:04pm

Late to answer but I used Panacur C to clear up a hydra infestation I had in a shrimp tank.  It worked well but it will also potentially hurt any snails you might have in the tank.  If you notice them come back this could be a way to get rid of them long term. Pretty easy to use and can get it from a pet supply shop or amazon for cheap.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2020 at 6:19pm

Justin,  this is heavily planted 55 gallon aquarium, I think Pancur C. would hurt the plants.

Thanks though!

Jim Langan

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 9:49am

I used it in a heavily planted tank with no troubles. But I'm glad the snails cleared it up for you.

IP Logged

Larry Waybright
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 8:39pm

I've always had good results clearing hydra with just a pinch of flubendazole powder/10 gallons. This dose did not seem to affect Malayan Trumpet snails nor harm any aquatic plants. If there is a single hydra present in a tank of fish being fed live brine shrimp nauplii you will soon be over run with hydras. (Also works great to treat velvet).
See JAKA article by Charles Harrison, Ph.D.Ph.D.http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2021 at 1:01pm

Hello,

Seachem Excel takes care of Hydra quite effectively.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print