Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Death and Despair (Read 2612 times)
Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Death and Despair
Oct 19th, 2019 at 4:25pm

As rotten luck would have it my female Fundulopanchax gardneri Rayfield died this morning. I got to feed her and care for her and watch her every minute of every day until today. A grand total of sixteen days. Why ? I don't know. Everything was fine until today. Just plain old bad luck. To make matters worse I'm at the end of fish shipping season so no new fish until spring. Well, you know what? I wasn't prepared at all. I've been running around like a mad man to get my spawning mops made up and my microworm and vinegar eel cultures going. The tank they were in was a natural set up so I'm hoping all hope that there are eggs in the plentiful hornwort. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my eye peeled for just one female fry. In the event of nothing I will spend the next five months learning all that there is to know about Killifish. I will have everything prepared and all in readiness to the last detail. I will soldier on, stay the course and know that my situation is not unique. Somebody or probably many some bodies have been in this same exact situation. A rodeo cowboy gets back on and a mountain climber looks back up after a fall. Each have learned something. And so have I.

IP Logged

Justin Woody

Re: Death and Despair
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 3:20pm

Sorry to hear about that Medric. It does seem to happen for no reason. Have you thought about maybe trying to order some eggs? I think they are easier to ship with a heat pack to keep them viable. If anything keep your male looking good and read a ton. That's kind of what I have been doing. Have you checked the AKA members list for Montana? Possibly someone relatively close you could tour their fishroom or get some fish from?

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann
Ex Member

Re: Death and Despair
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2019 at 3:19pm

The speeding death bullet stopped and dropped to the ground. Sarah Walker, in her infinite mercy and compassion, was able to send me two more pairs of gardneri and one pair of Pachypanchax playfairii which arrived healthy, well and alive October 24th. I got my live food cultures from Paul P. all set up and I am all the wiser at this point. Many, many thanks to my Queen Sarah Walker for her Herculean efforts on my behalf. And, boy Oh boy, does she know how to pack fish ! They looked great when I got them thanks to the heat pack she used. If you buy fish from her you will be very pleased. I am.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print