Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recomendations (Read 4392 times)
Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Recomendations
Aug 28th, 2018 at 2:51pm

I want to get started with Killifish I have experience with other tropical fish and have in the past breed anglefis and bettas and a few others. The water in Toledo has a ph of 9.0 and a hardness of 80ppm. What would be a good specieces to start with. I would like to read up on potiental species before getting fish

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Re: Recomendations
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 3:23pm

Welcome, Mark.  Sorry you have not had other responses yet; I suspect most of us have not dealt with very alkaline, softened water like yours.  It may be that you'll need to adjust the pH, or at least take some time acclimating new fish.

Some of the Aphanius species come from pH similar to yours, and would probably be fine without any modifications.  Aphanius mento is the easiest species to find, and is very striking. 

Some of the hardier "common" species like Aplocheilus lineatus (sold as "golden wonder") and maybe Fundulopanchax gardneri are pretty adaptable, and may be suitable with your water as is.

My best advice, however, is to check with your local fish store, aquarium club, or through the nearest local AKA affiliate to see if there are other killiekeepers in your area.  They might be able to provide both advice and maybe even fish.

Good luck....

IP Logged

Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 11:53am

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think that this bbs was dead. But it is still summer and kids going back to school or college and even last minuet vacations. Thanks to you I can start to read up on some fish and look at some pics.

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 10:46pm

I'm not sure why this latest version of the boards is such a ghost town; one of the previous killie boards had plenty of spirited discussions.

There are a few other species that might like your pH, but I think those already suggested would be the best of the "beginner's" killies for you to try.

If you are breeding angels in that water, I would bet most of the common killie species would adapt and breed to some extent.

IP Logged

Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 8:44am

It has been a while since breed any fish. But after you get the hang of it  it goes pretty well. Growing fry food was always the kicker for me. It looks like finding quality brine shrimp eggs is easier now. But I think daphina might have some benifits if I can find some affordable starters.

IP Logged

Keith Cook

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:58pm

Hi Mark,

Toledo gets their water from Lake Erie, don't they (when the algae ain't a bloomin)? Surprised the pH is that high. Upstream in Lake Huron we get water closer to 7.5.

I suspect a number of your Fundulopanchax genus might do well for you. Some (I'm thinking Blue Gularis) may have fertility issues if the water is too hard (or maybe high pH), but I think they will live just fine.

Toledo isn't super duper far from Sterling Heights, MI where the Michigan club has their meetings. We are having a holiday dinner in December if you would be interested in coming up and grabbing some fish. We also have a show in March where you could come up and grab some fish. I could mail some fish to you, also. I think I still have a heat pack around here.

Keith

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print