Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Our online Killifish Auction is now available to the public...
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie (Read 4913 times)
Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Aug 27th, 2018 at 3:21pm

Hello My name is Mark and I am new to this forum.And I am not sure how all this fourm stuff works. I first kept fish in the 1950's when I made my own aquarium with a meta lframe glass sides and a slate bottom and held together with black tar like stuff. I have had fish on and off ever since. So I have a pretty good handle on fish keeping. I have raised Angelfish and bettas and guppies of course but this all was a long time ago. I have never had killies but I sure want to give it a try. I plan to start small a 10gal with ug filter. But I would like help and direction. The scientific name are going to take me a while to get used to.

IP Logged

Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 6:37am

I am sorry I put this in the wrong place and I thank-you whoever moved this to the right place

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 9:49am

No Worries I noticed it last evening and moved it to the right Board. 

I'm certain you'll be able to get some advice and some beginner's fish for start.

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Mark Plessner
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 10:45am

Thank you

IP Logged

Keith Cook

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 5:51pm

Hi Mark,

A 10 gallon tank is a good size for most killies. Some of the more gregarious killies you might try are Fp. gardneri or A. striatum. The gardneri can be a bit like barbs in that they might chase other fish, especially each other. Striatum are more like tetras in that they are quite peaceful. Both do pretty well in community type situations with appropriate tank mates. Keep the tank covered. You probably won't need a heater.

You can get fish through the mail or at local shows. It is surprising how easy it is to mail fish. Check on Aquabid and look for a seller in your country of origin.

Keith

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2018 at 11:18pm

The other thing I will add is with an undergravel filter and gravel of course you will find many fish, gardneri specifically, will spawn in the gravel more than the mops.  I had gardneri in a similar setup and wasn't finding many eggs in the mop and then I siphoned the gavel and found tons of eggs there.  It will certainly work, but depending on the type of fish, you might find it beneficial to use a bare bottom tank or a dish of peat moss.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print