Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Longest incubation of eggs out of water? (Read 3279 times)
Ryan Clinton
Ex Member

Longest incubation of eggs out of water?
Mar 29th, 2018 at 12:24pm

After seeing so many questions in general about the minimum/suggested time to incubate annual killifish eggs in peat, I got curious about the opposite:
What is the longest that you've incubated eggs out of water and still hatched out viable fry?

IP Logged

Tyrone Genade
YaBB Administrator

TN
Re: Longest incubation of eggs out of water?
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:13pm

This varies from species to species.

The most impressive for me was a packet of N. guentheri peat which was 6 months old and bone dry. I wouldn't have bothered to wet the peat if I didn't see eyed-up eggs in it.

N. furzeri regularly go 9 to 12 months.

The most impressive story I've heard involves a packet of Pronothobranchiys seymouri that laid behind a shelf in a fishroom for 26 years and yielded viable fry.

I have a packet of korthausae eggs that is now about 9 months in incubation. I kept it in my office draw (66-68 oF). No sign of development. Same for some cardinalis eggs which are now about 6 months old. If you keep the eggs below 68 oF they seem to go into diapause I and remain there. For how long, I don't know... yet. The critical thing is to make sure they don't dry out. That is what was so amazing about the guentheri eggs. The peat was bone dry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print