Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Facebook? (Read 5212 times)
George Caruso
Ex Member

Facebook?
Mar 20th, 2018 at 1:27pm

Since killietalk was shut down our means of conversing has gone to Facebook. I must admit i do not like it much. It is a means of sharing info with fellow hobbyists, however I am subjected to the countless advertisements and other comments that have nothing to do with why I went on to Facebook. Now we see that much of peoples personal info has been taken off Facebook and  used by others to promote their own agenda. On the last AKA online questionnaire we were asked if we had any comments or suggestions on how to improve AKA.  One of my suggestions was to find a way to resurrect Killitalk. Even if it meant making it available to AKA members only to cut down on the off color remarks and posts.  I realize I am old fashioned on a lot of things I know, however I wonder if I am the only one who feels this way about the Facebook stuff?

IP Logged

Lee Summers
Ex Member

Re: Facebook?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:36pm

George,
Although I don't know what killitalk was. It would be nice if there was something other than Facebook... BUT the majority will want to keep using what is currently available, which is Facebook.

I also HATE Facebook, but it is about the only tool for doing somethings anymore.

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 5:56pm

I read killietalk, but never contributed.  I was under the impression that these boards were intended to replace it.  I am wondering why the folks that posted so voluminously there don't post here?

IP Logged

Emily Bennett
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 5:03pm

I hate Facebook as well, for a number of reasons but one being that I don't like the format for community discussions. This format of forum makes more sense to me, organizationally.  Every time a group I'm part of transitions to being a Facebook group, my community participation plummets. And hobbies are more fun when you're part of a community.

Also, not everyone needs full access to my life.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:18pm

The killietalk provider is no longer viable and functional as an organization on the web.  This is why we've placed the forums on line.  The problem with killietalk is the email back and forth server overhead became expensive and the provider could not economically (for free) provide the service. FORUMs have taken over completely for this type of service for the AKA and most similar organizations.  Unfortunately our ISP/Host does not provide list group capability of which Killietalk was.

I hope this helps,

Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

George Caruso
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 1:33pm

Too bad. Killitalk had a lot of positives over Face Book.
I am seriously considering deleting my Facebook account. I will just have to rely on emails, the AKA forum site and phone conversations for my information and interactions.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:56pm

There are forums here. They're fine. Let's  use them. Killitalk was convenient in its day, those days are long over and really, Killitalk was lively because there were more people using it than either Facebook or here. Time passes. Killitalk also had a lot of downsides, there's no perfect solution. Here, the threads are searchable and the interface pretty easy to use. Killitalk would end up in endless flame wars with ridiculously lengthy unsearchable thread histories. The 'old days' were not necessarily 'good.' Just different.

IP Logged

George Caruso
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 2:33pm

I agree we should use these forums more than we do.
Already deleted my Facebook account so I will be relying on these forums for a lot my info and conversations.

IP Logged

Ron Schulz
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 10:44pm

....The worse mistake AKA management ever made was the suspension of Killietalk.  They continually compound the mistake by refusing to admit it despite compelling evidence. Kilietalk averaged 10+ posts a day every day for the last 3 years of its existence. It was a vibrant discussion of anything killie related with widespread participation by a whole host of knowledgeable killie keepers. It was suspended because of a small number of agitators and an even smaller number of thin skinned targets. The fact that this issue could not be dealt with was an excuse to disband one of the most useful, entertaining, and best features of the AKA. The current forums are simply not used, never were, and unfortunately likely never will be. This is one case where the "old days" were better.........much better

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 12:33am

Killie Talk was hosted by Actwin which was part of Fins Inc.  Both are defunct, Killitalk went away because the facilitator is no more.  In lieu of this I added the FORUMs to the AKA member area, this way we know it will be facilitated properly without maintenance costs.

I hope this helps,  Jim Langan, AKA Webmaster

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 1:54am

I understand why killitalk went under, there was so much vitriol there by a limited few.  I refuse to put my personal life on the interwebz so I have no facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc. presence and I don't feel the loss.  It would be nice to have the activity that killitalk produced and I'm puzzled why this forum never achieved it's potential.  Just my observations.

IP Logged

Larry Waybright
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2021 at 8:03pm

I first joined the AKA back in 1968 at age 16 and have come and gone many, many times over these past decades. I just rejoined AKA today and see so many new to me changes since last years of my membership. I got a chuckle over my status as a "YaBB Newbies".
It's unfortunate to learn so much discourse has been migrated to detestable facebook. I have an account but have blocked all but "end of the world" notifications as I don't have the patience having my "junk" email address overflowing with facebook this, facebook that. Tis a shame, imo.

IP Logged

Norman Johnson
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 7:35pm

welcome back. some of us from the 60s are still around. the move to facebook was prompted by lack of response here. I stop by from time to time. encourage more people to come by doing the same ?

IP Logged

Kris Haggblom
BOT_Viewonly

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 11:38am

I have pretty much abandoned facebook - check in on rare occasions (usually when my better half says something like "Did you see that post I sent you?") - and have participated here in the AKA forums sporadically. I think the forum format works fine. We just need to use it more.

IP Logged

Medric J. Magann

Billings Montana
Reply #14 - May 21st, 2021 at 6:25pm

I think I heard that the AKA Facebook thing got the kibosh put on it. I prefer these forums as you don't get the less serious hobbyists and new people asking very basic questions that they should already have the answers to and you don't have people wondering if they can do some ridiculously stupid thing that nobody else would ever think to do. Yes, I am guilty of those things but it does get old. Facebook is like a cocktail party where you get random talk with no substance. Gary Elson said that and he was right. On this forum you can be more in depth and get a studied reply.

Long Live the AKA !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print