Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Enjoy vour visit to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...

To be able to post in our FORUMs, you must be an AKA member... Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rearing differnt Species of fry together (Read 3533 times)
James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Rearing differnt Species of fry together
Aug 8th, 2017 at 12:26pm

Because of limited rearing tanks I often raise different discernible species of fry together that have similar development size, food, length of time to virility etc...

Examples include Procatapus with an aphyosemion, Script aphyosemion with a diapteron etc...  Definitely my main criteria is rate of growth and being able to discern the females. 

if there are any other experiences from our membership and suggestions, on whether there are any ill long term affects of rearing fry this way???  please post!

Thanks in advance, Jim Langan

IP Logged

Russell Feilzer

Re: Rearing differnt Species of fry together
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:28pm

I've been raising a batch of Valencia letourneuxi and Jordanella floridae together in a 110 gallon tank.  They occupy different layers of the tank and I've found no problems having them together and there's certainly no concern with hybridization.

IP Logged

Jacqueline Kostich

wisconsin
Re: Rearing differnt Species of fry together
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:13pm

I have done this in the past, but avoid it for the most part on fish I plan to distribute.  When trying to catch young fish after they go pale from being chased, it's amazing how similar everybody looks.  I hopefully didn't make too many errors, but it probably doubles the time it takes to select them.

For small batches of fish or if I intend to keep them, I've raised species like gardneri, bivittatum and dageti and maybe a Notho in the same tank without issue. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print