Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Successes (Read 1750 times)
Emily Bennett
Ex Member

Successes
Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:07am

I'm a noob with killies and fish breeding, so thought I would share my first successes!
I've hatched a few fry before, but was unable to keep them alive past the first few days. Many factors involved, some my fault and some not... But no fish survived.

I just decided to try giving killies another go and have had a few early successes to give me hope. I got some Notho korthausae eggs from AquaBid that have hatched and I have 9 surviving fry (2 belly sliders that I haven't culled because they're still active and growing well despite being belly sliders.). Today, I gave myself a small heart attack when I momentarily thought my larger fry had developed fungus! And then... I realized that those growths are tiny pectoral fins, just now getting big enough to see.

I have 5 fry in a container with some coconut coir, and they seem to have less belly sliders, but are slightly smaller than the ones without coir. Fed vinegar eels and Walter worms, now Walter worms and microworms.

My other success is that I got some fish from the killifish Karnival, and the F. Cinnamomeus are spectacular. They're way more outgoing than I expected, and I have a couple of fertile eggs that I am water incubating and can see the fry developing. These were laid in the small quarantine tank that I put them in because their tank was a couple of days from being cycled when they arrived. For at least a while, I'm going to leave them in the big tank and see if any fry appear (they're in a 10g by themselves, so nobody but the parents to eat the fry). If not, I'll pull them and put them in a q tank with mops for another few days when I want more eggs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print