Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hatching troubles (Read 5328 times)
Kent Stevens
Ex Member

hatching troubles
Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:12am

I am having trouble hatching eggs. My fish are eating good and growing color is good. They breed fine and eggs develop but just won't hatch. My water is hard so I cut it 50/50 with rain water. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Re: hatching troubles
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:46am

Which fish, how long have you had the eggs, how are you incubating the eggs, are the eggs ready to hatch, what temperature are you storing them at? Please have a look at the online beginner's guide, it might help.

IP Logged

Kent Stevens
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:40pm

Gardneri Jos Plateau stored at 72 in water for 3 or 4 months. Moved to peat for two weeks and then watered them with rain water. Nothing. put them in a jar with water and walked a couple of miles. Nothing. Tried micro worms. Nothing. ????

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 3:56am

Are the eggs clear? Do you see fry formed in them, there's usually a gold ring formed around the eye when they're close.

By 3-4 months they should have hatched. 2 weeks is plenty, as long as the eggs are viable. The water, temp, etc. you mention is all good. Got any pictures of the eggs?

IP Logged

Kent Stevens
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 5:06pm

No pics but eyes are clearly seen with the goldish ring. I pulled fungus every other day or so at the start. I have never had trouble hatching anything. I had Jos Plateau in the 1970's when they first came in and had plenty of them. I had 50 some tanks of all different type then I had to quit to raise a family and just getting started again.

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 2:26am

I'd try the "put them in a vial , blow into the vial with a straw" and put the vial in a warm shirt pocket for awhile, see if that helps. Microworms in the vial might work too or simply put the microworms in the hatching containers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print