Welcome, Guest
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Welcome to the American Killifish Association FORUMs...  Please Join the AKA!
  HomeHelpSearchReturn to AKA Homepage  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Procatapus Similus trouble hatching (plea 4 help) (Read 3932 times)
James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Procatapus Similus trouble hatching (plea 4 help)
Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:20pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a very rare location of Similus, gorgeous fish.  On peat eggs begin development, ultimately turn a pale white inside and die off.  I have raised a few fry three(3) specifically in the past year.  Eggs are incubated at tank temperature, kept in indirect light.  Is it possible the acidity from the peat is causing these problems?  When I collect the eggs and attempt water incubation I have no success at all.

I am open for any and all suggestions as my fish are very mature and I do not want to loose the species.  If you have had success with any of the procatapus please contact me as soon as possible. 

Jim Langan

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Re: Procatapus Similus trouble hatching (plea 4 help)
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:19am

can you water incubate a couple days first, pulling out the fungused eggs, then put on peat? And, what about using boiled coir instead of peat? I find eggs were happier there, as it wasn't as acidic as peat.

My experience was with Ps. aberrans, it was trivial to raise. Fairly hard water as I recall, 300ppm TDS maybe. Never got my hands on any similis to try, those that did said it was a touchy fish.

IP Logged

James Langan
YaBB Administrator
BOT Member

Afton, Minnesota
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:27am

Matt,

All of the eggs lost thus far were viable.  I do water incubate to determine development, then onto peat, I am wondering if its the handling, skin temerature, something else??

I will try the coir very good suggestion.  Thanks

langan

IP Logged

Matt Kaufman
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 11:19am

One of the points I got out of the recent JAKA article by Dr. Podrawbsky was that killie eggs are light sensitive. His team was using strong light to manipulate diapause intervals. I have always thought that we were way too much into poking the eggs and 'annoying' them and best to simulate nature - let the eggs lay where they are. I wonder if simply water incubating with some methyl. blue would be sufficient? I never used coir or peat unless absolutely necessary, Ps. aberrans did fine water incubated. Just a thought - try moving the mop and seeing what happens.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print